The Carroll Depot was designed by Charles Sumner Frost, a noted Chicago architect who designed over 200 rail depots for the Chicago & North Western Railroads throughout the Midwest. Frost's other noted work is the Chicago Navy Pier and the Navy Pier Terminal which was built in 1916.
The Carroll Depot was first built in 1867, but burned down. The building was rebuilt and the current building was completed in 1896. It served as the railroad's "showpiece" in West Central Iowa. Throughout the years people around the Carroll community have recognized its historical value.
Since the Depot was one of Carroll's focal points, leaders began efforts to restore and renovate the property in 1990. In 2004 exterior renovations were completed restoring this beautiful building. Soon after exterior renovations were completed, plans were laid out to begin renovation of the three buildings.
The main building's original maple wood floors could not be restored, so it was replaced with engineered floor with Tiger wood as the veneer top layer. The design and structure of the original ticket booth in the main lobby has been preserved and now serves as a main conference room. Windows were replaced, however, they are reconstructed to the original size to give the feeling of the historic Depot with large amounts of light coming in.
Once renovations were completed the Carroll Chamber of Commerce moved into the building.
The east & west buildings have been restored by a group of volunteers spear-headed by R. T. Schreck and Jim Greteman. Both have done a great job of organizing volunteer labor, securing materials donated or at cost for the project, and spending time themselves as part of the work crew. The Carroll Area Buildings Trade Association has donated countless hours to the project as well.
The depot is truly an active vital part of the community once again.
The Chicago & North Western tracks opened all the way through to Council Bluffs in 1868
First depot built in 1867-1868; destroyed by fire in September 1879
Second depot built in 1879-1880; destroyed by fire in 1892
Third (current) depot was built in 1896 and was in operation until 1959
East Building = 1200 Sq Ft
Main Building = 3100 Sq Ft
West Building = 1100 Sq Ft